Are you willing to start a food blog? If yes, then you have landed on the correct destination.
In this article, I’m going to tell you how you can start your own food blog and make money from it.
So, let’s get started with setting up of your own food blog. To begin a food blog, you need to buy a domain first.
Purchasing a Domain
Many bloggers start blogs with their own names. So, you can also use your name as a domain name of your food blog. However, if you don’t want to use your name, then choose a domain name, which is relevant to the content that you publish on your beloved food blog.
In case, if you have no idea about a domain name, then make sure you get some information by using by using Flame Domain. This website helps to give you domain name ideas that are already available.
Moreover, you can input a word and get a lot of ideas about a domain name.
Once you have decided the name of your website, it’s time to purchase a domain. You can also buy domain along with your web hosting.
Setting up Web Hosting
Now, it’s time to set up web hosting for your website. ‘Bluehost’ is the best hosting provider, which you can go for.
You can get started with ‘Bluehost’ for just $2.95.
It clearly indicates that you will get hosting of three years for the price of two years.
First of all, you need to select the basic plan and enter the domain name that you want to use.
After that, you need to add your account information.
That’s all. Now, you have to install WordPress.
In your Bluehost cPanel, you need to go to MOJO marketplace and click on ‘WordPress’.
Start with your WordPress installation, select the domain where you want to install WordPress and enter the name of your website.
Choosing a WordPress Theme
It is quite obvious that choosing a WordPress theme is a daunting task. There are many beautiful themes available for WordPress and selecting the best one is very difficult. That’s the reason why I have listed top five WordPress themes for food blogs.
- Cuiliner– Food & Recipe WordPress Theme
It is one of the best themes for food blogs because it offers different features. It usually comes with 3 homepage slider styles, 2 navigation slider styles and a review feature that helps you review recipes. Moreover, it helps to view your recipes and posts in masonry and grid styles.
- Gillion- Multi-Concept Magazine, News, Review WordPress Theme
This WordPress theme offers you so many options that you can use to customize your blog. With the help of this theme, you can use six different post layouts, four header layouts, five slider layouts and much more.
- Grain & Knot- WordPress theme for Food Blog
In case, if you didn’t like any one of the above-mentioned themes, then I’m pretty much sure that you will definitely find Grain and Knot WordPress theme attractive. It is quite perfect for food blogs and comes with three layouts: classic, grid, and list.
The theme allows you to put featured recipe slider at the top in order to attract more and more people.
- RecipePress- Food & Recipes Premium WordPress Theme
Recipepress is a clean WordPress theme, which is specially designed for food blogs. It is quite responsive and comes with four demos.
With this theme, you can display your recipes in the grid as well as list style. This theme comes with top-notch features that allow you to customize the blog the way you want.
Best Plug-ins for Food Blogs
Once you have installed WordPress, you need to install some plug-ins as well. These plugins help you a lot in managing blog performance, security, SEO.
Now, I would like to suggest you 8 WordPress plugins that you should install on your food blog.
- Yoast SEO: It helps to optimize your pages and posts for SEO. Most of your traffic generate from social media only, so it is a good practice to keep your posts optimized for SEO.
With the help of this plugin, you can set custom Meta description for your recipes that help you to attain good ranking on Google. Moreover, it helps you to get readability score of your post.
- JetPack: If you want to keep a track of your website statistics, you need to install Jetpack plugin. It helps to show your website statistics along with several other features. Moreover, this plugin will inform you, if your website goes down.
- SumoMe: It is a collection of tools that help to increase traffic to your food blog. It offers two tools that are as follows:
- Social Sharing: SumoMe enables you to do social sharing and helps you to get social shares on your recipes and posts. Furthermore, it also helps you to enable the Pinterest share button for pictures.
- Popups: After starting a food blog, you need to build an email list and for that, SumoMe popups will surely help you a lot.
If you want people to sign up, you can display popups on your website. Moreover, you can display a top bar, welcome mat, scroll bar, and much more.
- Akismet: It has been observed that many people used to leave spam comments on blogs. Akismet is used to protect websites from those comments.
- WP Ultimate Recipe: It helps you to create post named recipes, where you can create recipes and display them on your food blog.
- Pinterest Sidebar Widget: If you want to derive a lot of traffic, then you need to spend more time on Pinterest. To help you out, the Pinterest sidebar widget must be installed on your website.
- Sucuri: Talking about security, this plugin is highly recommended as it helps to secure your website from hackers completely. If you are looking for some advanced security, you can opt for premium service from Sucuri.
Getting Traffic to Your Food Blog
If you are running a blog, the most common challenge that you usually face is how to derive more and more traffic.
Let me clear to you, getting traffic to a food blog is quite a daunting task. Here are few reasons for that:
- People don’t search for food recipes.
- People look for video content more than text.
But, you don’t need to worry as there is one traffic source that helps to grow your food blog is Pinterest. That’s why we need to focus on Pinterest and how to attain more and more traffic from it.
- Pinterest: If you want to generate traffic to your food blog by using Pinterest, you need a clear-cut strategy. Here the strategy is:
- Create at least 10-15 boards and begin pinning: First of all, you need to create your own boards and start fixing content so that your profile doesn’t seem to be unfilled. You can create boards on different categories that you are covering on your blog.
Note: Make sure that you don’t pin your own content. Pin others content. Search on Pinterest and start fixing pictures that you like to be on your boards. In this way, people will start noticing you and follow you.
- Create a ‘best of your blog’ board: Once your boards have enough pins, then you have to create a board named “best of your blog” and after that, start pinning the top-quality content of your blog. Make sure that your images should be attractive enough so that they can easily get pinned on other boards.
- Join Group Boards and Start Pinning Content: Make sure you find a list of group boards related to your recipes along with the owner name and contact information. Many administrators of the group board share their information on board description.
In case, if you face difficulties in searching a group board, then you can find tons of group boards on PinGroupie.
It gives you the list of all group boards along with the information regarding the number of followers, pins and collaborators.
- Automate Your Process: Pinning content on multiple boards will take more time. Once your profile looks good with enough pins, you can start automating your process.
This task can be easily done by BoardBooster, which allows you to find the best performing boards.
Here are the lists of Pinterest tips that help you to grow your website traffic.
- Use images that have patterns and vibrant colors
- Add a detailed description of recipes on your profile
- Use light images instead of dark ones
- Don’t forget to pin at peak times
- Other Traffic Sources: Undoubtedly, Pinterest is your main source of getting traffic but you should not ignore other platforms too.
You can focus on enhancing your Instagram game in order to derive traffic from it.
Apart from this, Google search can also help you to get some traffic.
Monetizing Your Food Blog
Generating money from a food blog is not a cakewalk. I will guide you some methods that people use to generate money from their blog.
- Affiliate Marketing
- Sponsored Reviews
- Selling Products
Let’s discuss each of them in detail
- Adsense: It helps bloggers to display ads on their website so that they can earn money whenever visitors click on these ads.
However, it is only possible if you are running a huge blog that has huge traffic.
Tip: If your blog is brand new, then I will not recommend you to use Adsense at all.
- Affiliate Marketing: It is a great monetization method that helps you to review products on your blog and add your affiliate links.
Whenever a sale is made from your link, you earn some commission. It is far better than Adsense and can really help you to earn some money even if you have a small group of audience.
- Sponsored Reviews: When you start reviewing products on your blog, many companies will notice you. In this way, you can earn money by charging for reviews.
- Selling Products: In this scenario, you should build trust first and then after that, you can create free products, such as checklists, eBooks, and much more. Not only this, this method will also help you to grow your email list as well.
In the beginning, you will face some difficulties but with the help of this guide, you will surely overcome them with ease.
Like this post? Share it with your friends